How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A notary filed a document with our local county recorder

Customer Question

Hi, a notary filed a document with our local county recorder that she notarized and signed my name to without my knowledge. Who do I report her to?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington County Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Regarding the offense?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just want to know who I should tell this to so she can be reprimanded or los her notary privledges
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The police. What she did is considered forgery under 609.63 and filing false instruments under 609.64. As such, this is a criminal matter. You can file a police report. The police will then investigate and then the prosecutor may charge her with a criminal act.

As a consequence of any conviction she is likely to lose her notary privileges as well.

In addition, you can sue her in civil court for (1) negligence and (2) defamation, seeking both actual and punitive damages from her actions.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!