Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I just got an under age drinking ticket and the court date

Customer Question

I just got an under age drinking ticket and the court date that it is planned I'll be out of the country. Do I need a lawyer and can my lawyer go to court without me? Also my university has a student legal clinic which I was thinking of going without my parents knowing of the citation. Is it a good idea?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just a citation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That about it
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I just got an under age drinking ticket and the court date that it is planned I'll be out of the country. Do I need a lawyer

Response 1: Yes, you do. You would need the services of a local criminal defense Attorney.

and can my lawyer go to court without me?

Response 2: No. You need to be present for the hearing.

Also my university has a student legal clinic which I was thinking of going without my parents knowing of the citation. Is it a good idea?

Response 3: You can go to the clinic for assistance. However, you should let your parents know about the citation.