How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just received a court document saying I owe 20k on a nine

Customer Question

just received a court document saying I owe 20k on a nine year old debt that I just found about it has been in the c ourt xsystem for nine years I live in California were ststue of limitations on debt is 4 years. CanI still get into court to stop any collection.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: California which has 4 year statue of limitationns
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Ues Its been in the court house for 9 years We just found out about it yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.
Can you clarify if this is a suit or if this is a judgment? If it is a judgment you can file a motion for new trial since you were never served with a lawsuit and if granted you could then motion to dismiss it based on the statute a limitations.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions a positive rating would be greatly appreciated