Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can the Grandfather clause be applied to homeowners

Customer Question
associations? We have had...
Can the Grandfather clause be applied to homeowners associations? We have had a gate in the fence separating our back yard and the practice green for the last 12+ years. The association is replacing all fencing in the development and will not allow the gate.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Las Vegas, NV
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Probably only the Association charter 20+ years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What else would be important?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/11/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can the Grandfather clause be applied to homeowners associations?

.

The problem with this is that HOAs are administrative organizations, not criminal or civil ones.. So when a homeowner violates a rule or CCR, it is a brand new violation every day that it exists. So a statute of limitations never runs on a Board enforcing the rules for violations.

.

With that said, there are some equitable defenses that an owner could use to defend if this got to a point where the HOA fined and then filed suit to collect. The owner could argue "Laches" which is a legal doctrine that says if X is aware of a violation and doesn't take any action to enforce their authority to penalize Y for violating it, then they eventually lose that right. A very similar doctrine is "waiver". Another equitable doctrine is "detrimental reliance" where if X took a position (or failed to object) to something Y was doing, then X is then later prevented from changing that position if Y would be "injured" by them doing so. (i.e. taking down the gate)

.

So you can fight them, but it really depends on how far you are willing to take it considering that legally, every day the violation exists is a new violation and all owners agreed to be bound by the rules, Bylaws and CCRs when they bought into the neighborhood..

.

It might be easier to just take it down... leave it down for a few weeks, and then quietly reinstall it..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The president of the board of directors of the association has informed me that if we put a date in the new fence they would remove the panel with the gate reinstall a new panel and we would be charged

Ok, then you would be kind of rolling the dice here if you did so that they wouldn't actually follow up on their threats..

.

I can only tell you that from a purely legal perspective, you are in violation of the rules if they prohibit you installing a gate without approval and you have one or install one later..

.

But whether they would actually come after you for doing so, or would continue to ignore it as they have done in the past, I can't say..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney