LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Can I check in a fire arm at the airport. It will not be

Customer Question

Can I check in a fire arm at the airport. It will not be loaded nor will it be with me for carry on items
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I will be traveling from Louisiana to Texas.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be going on a hunting trip in Texas. No ammunition will be with the
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I travel with my guns on a regular basis. It is not a problem.

In order to check a firearm in for transport on a flight you are on, it must be in a separately locked hard sided travel case. I prefer Pelican cases for safety and security.

You MUST declare the gun at check in where you check in your regular luggage with your airline---inside the terminal. You will be given a form to fill out stating that the weapon(s) are unloaded. After you declare that you are transporting a firearm, you will be escorted to a TSA security office where your gun case will be taken from you. The staff will open the case to ensure that the weapon is unloaded and that you are not carrying ammunition. Your bag will be approved for transport and you will pick it up off the carousel at your destination.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, you can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug