How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was sentenced to prison for having sex with a

Customer Question

My daughter was sentenced to prison for having sex with a minor. She had a manic bipolar episode that was verified by doctor. She is being treated now and it under control, but she needs to be home where it can treated properly How long do need to wait to request a sentence modification?
JA: Our average wait time is under 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes just a minute. More complicated questions that need more research might take an hour or two. I'd be happy to chat with you while you wait. The stories I've heard working here...
Customer: I guess I should point out that my daughter has never been in any trouble. She is currently in Rockville Correctional Facility in Indiana.
JA: Have you consulted an attorney yet regarding this matter?
Customer: I have not yet. I was hopping to get a basic understanding of the process forst.
JA: Because laws vary based on location, what state are you in?
Customer: I am in Indiana
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know enough to answer it
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If more than a year has passed since your daughter was incarcerated, and she was sentenced before July 2014, then it will be all but impossible to have her sentence modified---because that would require the consent of the Prosecutor and that is highly unlikely to happen.

However, if she was sentenced after July 2014, then she will not need the consent of the prosecutor and she may apply right now for a modification of her sentence.

So, in direct answer to your question, there is no minimum time which must pass before an inmate can seek a modification of their sentence under Indiana law. Here is a legal link that you may find informative:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,