How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41007
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I contacted the law firm that had my account in January 2016

Customer Question

I contacted the law firm that had my account in January 2016 and left several messages trying to pay my past due payment to which no one ever returned my call. I am now being sued for over twice the amount from January. When I called the lawyer today, he was very rude, and in the end hung up on me. I want to find out my options before paying anything
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They have filed a law suit against us
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it for now
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

First here you need to file an answer to the lawsuit.That protects you from a default judgment for the full amount plus legal fees and costs.Submit a letter here to the lawyer setting out an offer to resolve the matter.That way you avoid the he said/you said kinds of thing from phone conversations.Making them an offer and filing an answer would be your next steps here to protect yourself and resolve this matter.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.

Answer forms when in doubt check deny on all the paragraphs if you dispute the facts.

And I am not sure how much is owed here but you could file Chapter 7 bankruptcy as a way to discharge the debt and this is a last resort if the debt is too high here.You can also mention that if he doesn't accept your offer that you will do so--he doesn't know if you are bluffing or not here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.