Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

For the second time, different clients I have a 10 figure

Customer Question

For the second time, different clients I have a 10 figure sum held up by Homeland Security. There was nothing wrong before, no illegal activity, nothing. They are however holding it past the Patriot Act mandated 10 days. Last time it was 6 weeks, this time a deal to help a charity is literally about to be unable to happen because it's hit the fourth week.
What can I do to speed this along?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also I'm totally aware that it should have been run through the state department ahead of time, it just ended up being a deal where someone was like, "Absolutely, lets do it!" And we were happy to wait the 10 days.... if only it was 10 days.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they are holding the funds without cause beyond the 10 day hold period, then your only legal recourse is to file suit against the bank and Homeland Security in US District Court to challenge the detainer of the money and also for the cost of damages suffered from not having access to the funds based on their improperly detaining the funds. This is all you can do I am afraid.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.