LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am looking for some assistance. My wife was sued by a debt

Customer Question

Hi. I am looking for some assistance. My wife was sued by a debt collector in Louisville, KY. We recently were made aware of this, and have not received a copy of the compliant. I do however have the case #***** It is my understanding that she has 30 days to file an answer. we are at day 28 and need to act quickly. Any advice? Thank you!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in KY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well it does show up when I do a records search in KY.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under KY law, unless and until your wife is personally served with a copy of the summons and the complaint by a police officer or a private process server, the 30 day period in which to file an Answer does not begin to run. So, because she was not served, there is no need to do anything yet.

So, you can ignore the fact that the suit has been filed until your wife is personally served.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug