How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I help my abused sister when she lives 2000 miles

Customer Question

How can I help my abused sister when she lives 2000 miles from me?
JA: I'm trying to find the right lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: I am retired and cannot afford a lawyer right now. Is that the only way?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Indiana; she's in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. Her siblings are aware of the goings on.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She had a stroke four years ago and is being left untended, unfed and uncared for. She is left alone from Thursday AM to Sunday PM. She owns their home in Borrego Springs, CA and he spends that time in San Diego, about 90 minutes away during that time. She cannot drive and cannot cook her own meals except for microwave meals. Her husband's actions have alienated the family.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) Has the local adult protective services been alerted? If so, have they taken action? What has happened?

2) Would you be willing to take legal guardianship of her? This likely means moving her to IN.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
adult services in California have been called, but since she lives in the desert (Borrego Springs) it is out of their jurisdiction to make "surprise visits". My Husband and I cannot care for her here in Indiana, though she has been here for over a month. This "vacation" came about because her husband was supposed to have quadruple heart by-pass surgery, which was a lie, so he bought her a one-way ticket to our house for his time of "recovery".
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts to see if they have other ideas.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.