Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was wondering if a Canadian citizen can own and a US

Customer Question

hi I was wondering if a Canadian citizen can own and a US corporation and what the rules are for that.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: British Columbia citizen wanting to own an Alaskan business
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet, were getting legal advice first
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: if the answer is yes, can the BC citizen that owns the US company also legally work for that company on a daily basis in the US.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, a Canadian citizen non-US resident can own a corporation or LLC in the US. They cannot own an S corporation. The BC Citizen can form a corporation the same way as a US Citizen or resident, they would file articles of incorporation with the Secretary of state in Alaska, they would designate shares to distribute to share holders and would name a president, secretary and treasurer of the corporation. It is very similar to forming a corporation in Canada. The corporation would obtain a tax ID number from the IRS for the corporation and the corporation files tax returns in the name of the corporation. The corporation can pay shareholders dividends, even non-US residents and can even pay profit sharing to non-US citizen owners.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.