How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons car was stolen from his residence on August 31,2016.

Customer Question

My sons car was stolen from his residence on August 31,2016. In MD, the defense attorney is asking him to go to court tomorrow to testify against the person that got caught. Can't prove that this person was the driver of the car. Anyway he is losing day from work also he is using my car (his Mother) to get back and fourth to work when I have to now find ways to work. This is costing me more money also to help my son. W
JA: I'm the lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MD.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes he is going to court tomorrow but this isn't the guy that was driving the car or they can't prove it. I need to know how I can be compensated for my car when I have to find ways to work. My son is currently using my car to get to work since he still don't have his car
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What are our right to ask for and how can I show proof of what I'm losing to receive restitution
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

In a situation like this, he can speak with the State and ask them to reimburse him for mileage and lost time, for missing work and appearing. However, the fact that he has to use your car, would not allow for you to be reimbursed for this. Restitution is used to make the victim whole. In this case, he is the victim, so he could ask that the State seek restitution on his behalf but since you are not a party to the case, they do not have to recover for you, for allowing him to use your car.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!