How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42285
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a subpeona to produce documentation oon a case. I

Customer Question

I received a subpeona to produce documentation oon a case. I was the contractor on job and did the repairs. The case is not against me nor my copany. They want to question me about anything I heard or witnessed which I have no knowlewdge. They are coming to my ffice to take deposition and collect a copy of my Proposal of work completed. Can I request payment for my time as this meeting is taking me away from on going projects and meetings I am currently involved with. This case in no way involves me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed, reported?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They want to know all employees that were on job. this work was done in 2011. Said employees are no longer with company and honestly if they were we could not tell exactly who performed work, This case has nothing to do with our work. Its a case between the property management and cox communicatins
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Yes I would ask for payment for your hourly rate for the hours in deposition.I would not agree to do it otherwise.Tell them you consider yourself an expert in your field and that you are entitled to be paid as such otherwise you aren't going to agree to be deposed.Hold out for what you want here and get it in writing that they will pay you . This is more than reasonable as you are burning valuable time to be deposed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank You!
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You are so welcome.I appreciate the chance to help

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Take care.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.