How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Dayton, TN. I am selling myCar to my son's

Customer Question

I live in Dayton, TN. I am selling my*****Car to my son's girlfriend. My son took the car, not telling her, and got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. His license is revoked and the car was parked in a parking lot before they actually stopped him. He ran and they impounded my car. I am the registered owner of the car and they still have not notified me that the car was impounded. All this took place on October 30th. I want to know what my legal rights are as the car owner because according the the police officer that talked to my sons girlfriend he will not let anyone come and get the car until my son gives himself up. Also my grandson, who is 2 years old has cerebal paulsy and his leg braces are in the car. The officer told her that she can't have them and he has threatened to arrest her twice. They have also pulled my youngest daughter over and searched her and her vehicle looking for my son. I really need some advice.
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just the police report as far as I know
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NOt that I know of
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, now as legal owner of the car you have to go to the impound to seek to get the car released upon proof of ownership. If they will not release the car to you as the registered owner, then you have to file a motion for release of the vehicle in the local court, since the court can order the release as this car was not used in any major crime. They also have to allow you to recover your personal property out of the car.
So, if they refuse to release the car to YOU personally with your proof of ownership, then you need a local attorney to file in court to secure the release of the vehicle.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.