How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been paying on an installment agreement for 5 years and

Customer Question

I've been paying on an installment agreement for 5 years and now find out that theres interest. He suspends my license over a late payment and wants me to sign a new installment agreement to get reinstated. What can I do to keep from being bullied. I'm on disability and relieve very little funds.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Missouri. I've been paying for 5 years
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was over a car accident that happened 2006
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Interest is provided for by law on all judgments. So the interest keeps adding up on the remaining balance of a judgment until the judgment is paid off (including all of that interest). Unfortunately, when a judgment is for a car accident, they can suspend your license for non-payment.
If you cannot keep paying and have other debts as well that you cannot afford to pay, then I would suggest that instead of using money to pay this judgment that you should go to a local bankruptcy attorney and file bankruptcy which would cause this debt and all of your other unsecured debts to be dismissed and erased and then once that happens DMV has to reinstate your license as the debt on the judgment is no longer valid.
However, if you do not qualify for bankruptcy, then you need to consider borrowing money from someone else and pay this judgment off to stop the interest from continuing to pile up.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.