How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102320
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering moving to Uruguay or some other south

Customer Question

I am considering moving to Uruguay or some other south american country, but I have a felony conviction. I am retired with a good not great income.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No. I am just starting to look.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Just now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I should be off probation at the end of november.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** matter, specifically? In other words:

-what countries offer "retirement visas?"

-what country has no extradition?

-something else?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Those are both good questions. But my question is what country will allow me to immigrate with a felony conviction, obtain residency and live there. Uruguay, Paraquay, Argentina, Ecuador, costa rica, Niciragua, (bad spelling) Bolivia, Peru, Columbia, or Venezuala.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Well, here is the general answer is: ALL of these countries allow "retirement" visas, since for them it is an investment. All of them require a police/criminal record. And all of them treat this on a case by case basis. Meaning, that if the felony is white collar, they may be more apt to allow one to settle as opposed to if the felony was for a sexual or violent act.

Also, timing matters. The longer it has been SINCE the conviction, the more likely the country is to agree to provide a visa.

The countries that have the most lax standards when it comes to this from the list you provided are (arguably) Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, and Columbia.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just received a notification that you sent a request to my credit card company for 59.00 to call me and they questioned it. I confirmed the request and it should be processed now. So you should have the confirmation now.Thanks
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Oh, okay. Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.

You can initiate a call now from your side if you want to.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not going to pay twice.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Experts are not even in charge of billing; we only answer questions. I do not even have access to your billing screen. If you have billing questions, please contact customer service at - they can help you.