How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118131
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dtr. is a full time college student and turns 20 in

Customer Question

My Dtr. is a full time college student and turns 20 in January 2017, My x wife has had the responsibility of maintaining Health Insurance for her and we both pay 50/50 for any health related expense not covered by the Insurance. I am responsible for child support. Does my x-wife have the same obligation now my Dtr. is in college or can she discontinue it. She is threatening to cut her off from health Insurance if she does do as my X desires. Is she legally obligated for coverage like I am for child support or is she not?
JA: Not for this question, but they might if you need additional services. You'll have to ask the lawyer about that. Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the child is enrolled in an institution of higher education, the parental support obligation shall continue until the child completes his education or until the child reaches the age of 22, whichever occurs first. See: Mo. Rev. Stat. § 452.340.5
This would include your ex's duty to continue insurance as well as your legal obligation to provide support.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.