How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost a case with my landlord for rent. Since the case I

Customer Question

I lost a case with my landlord for rent. Since the case I have found out that I rented the whole house and that she had never sent me a copy of the lease. The landlady took in about $50,000 extra renting out the basement for 5+ years. Also she had a number of repairs done by an illegal immigrant and left the country and instructed the person to collect from me. This took place over a two year period and it came to about $8000. When he came to court to testify she intimidated him and told him that wife and two children would be deported if he entered the court room. He got so scarred that he left the premises
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She filed and got a judgement against me for 18000
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you lost your trial in court, you have to file an appeal. Unfortunately, you bear the burden of proving everything you said and if you did not raise that in the trial that you lost and did not produce evidence in that lower court, you are prohibited from raising it on your appeal.
The problem you will have is you had to present actual evidence that he was charging you rent improperly and was renting to someone else. If you did not have that evidence at the time of trial because it was concealed from you, then you need to file a motion to vacate the judgment in the lower court and you have to present proof that this evidence just became available and ask the court to vacate the judgment on that basis.
I would not suggest doing either of these without a local attorney representing you because these are your last chances and if you make even a small mistake you can lose a case you may actually have been able to win.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.