How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3988
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid for a 6 month subscription to a dating website, and

Customer Question

I paid for a 6 month subscription to a dating website, and have been unable to reach the site for about 3 weeks now. All contact with the company was through the website and I have yet to receive any notification from them that they are discontinuing service.
At this point, I would like to wash my hands of it. Is there any legal standing for me to try and get my money back, as they have failed to render the service that I paid for, and what can/should I do if they continue to charge me, since I cannot get to their site to cancel?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

1) If you paid by Credit Card contact your credit card company and file a dispute of the charge based on Fraud. It may be too late for the card company to process the dispute, but sometimes they can extend the time if there is a claim of fraud,

2) File a complaint with the Texas State Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection. The investigate consumer fraud and unfair trade practices. Sometimes they can help you get a refund.

3) While you can probably sue the company for breech of contract and fraud it is going to cost you to investigate, find the company owners, serve them and pay the filing fees. I am sorry to say that it is costly and time consuming to sue and there is no guarantee of recovery. But you can sue in Small Claims Court without an attorney. The limit in Small Claims for Texas is $10,000.00.

Your local Justice Court Clerk will have the forms that you need.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Also make sure that you notify your bank or credit card company not to process any furhter payments to this company.