How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27131
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a person that continues to harass me thru FB messages

Customer Question

I have a person that continues to harass me thru FB messages after I have asked them to stop.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This person was part of a hire a hacker, directing him to me because she thought I was a fake profile. The hacker is currently under indictment for another case in Kntucky.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

. . . but first

what is the nature of the harassment? Are you being threatened? Have you ever met the person harassing you and do you know where he or she really is? Are you all in North Carolina?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

In North Carolina, repeated harassment makes out stalking under section 14-277.3A of your Penal code. You can see the definition of harassment here. It's a class A1 misdemeanor.

As this is happening on Facebook, it can also be prosecuted as cyberstalking. Cyberstalking is a class 2 misdemeanor. You can see the law as to this here.

So the way to proceed is to report this as a crime to the police. If the state goes forward, you will get a restraining order in your favor and any further harassment by this person can get him rearrested not just on new charges but for violating the order, which is a separate offense.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.