Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I work for a physical therapist and we have patients that

Customer Question

I work for a physical therapist and we have patients that state they filed bankruptcy and we are unsure what we legally have to do with the unpaid balances
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that we have copies of, we only have a patient who states she filed for bankruptcy. one patient we do have a report that she filed chapter 7
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the patient filed bankruptcy, then you need to find out the case number ***** the bankruptcy court and you have to file a proof of claim form in bankruptcy court to stand in line behind all of the other creditors. Here is a Proof of Claim Form: http://www.uscourts.gov/file/752/download
You file that with the bankruptcy court. You can check the patient and see if they filed bankruptcy by contacting the clerk of the bankruptcy court and checking their name with the clerk and they can tell you if any bankruptcy was filed.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.