How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33134
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend owns me 2000 dollars, he is ignoring me, what

Customer Question

My friend owns me 2000 dollars , he is ignoring me , what should I do
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gave my friend 2000 dollars , he is not giving the money back
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

You can file suit against them in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Once you get a judgment you can attach and levy their property and garninsh their accounts and wages until the judgment is paid.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What kind of proofs I need to present
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

You just need to show that the money was given with the intent that it be repaid and that your friend and you both agreed to it.

So, if there is any thing in writing or email consistent with that then you would want to present that as proof.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Small claims court is a little more relaxed in terms of the evidence allowed and how it is presented.