How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27082
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I admitted to a crime that I didn't comitt. Identity Theft.

Customer Question

I admitted to a crime that I didn't comitt. Identity Theft. A person who looks like me was video tapped. I was in a different. Part of the country. I admitted so I wouldn't go to jail. I was pressured by police. Help.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was charged. Will be arraigned 12/14/16
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm innocent! !!! I'm 61
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, you've been charged and now your confession can be used against you in court. However, during the course of fighting your case, your attorney will be able to file motions for a hearing to suppress the statement. If the judge decides after a hearing that you were not properly advised of your rights and/or that the admission you made was improperly coerced from you, the statement will not be admissible at trial.

Meanwhile, you should start looking for a lawyer since you have plenty of time for your court date. And if you were in fact in another part of the country when the alleged crime was committed you should collect evidence of that (names of witnesses, etc.) and make sure you give that to your lawyer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.