How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wanting to hold a protest but I want to do it legally.

Customer Question

I am wanting to hold a protest but I want to do it legally. My local sheriff's office is hosting an event called, "Understanding the Muslim Threat" which is, based on the speakers and their work, really racist and one sided. I want to protest by handing out "programs" that seem to be from the event, and thus from the sheriffis department (the design right now has their logo on the front). Inside is a section called, "ways to spot an islamist" with things like, "they have big bushy beards," next to a picture of a redneck with a beard. Obviously satiracal, but I want to make sure I can't get in trouble for "imitating a police officer" or anything.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virignia has nothing to do with employment though
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Are you a robot? this is nothing that's happened yet I want to make sure what I MAY do is legal
JA: I'm an assistant to the lawyer. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ah
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope Just want to be legal
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you are a "one man" protest you technically have the right to protest without first obtaining a permit. If there will be multiple people joining you you need to get a Permit for an Assembly. To be perfectly safe you will want to get the Permit in any case. That way no one can give you a hassle (at least not legally).

You do not indicate what locality this is in, but you can easily get a Permit from the local county clerk.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay but specifically I was asking if the satirical pamphlet looking as if it came from the sheriff's office was legal or not. That SPECIFICALLY is what I paid to have answered.