How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42871
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in ny state and the court decided in my favor. I have

Customer Question

I live in ny state and the court decided in my favor. I have a judgement from child support where my ex owes me 45,000
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i went through the sheriffs to do a bank levy on 2 banks and no accounts found new york
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed with who. went to sheriffs and they found notihing
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just how i go about on collecting my money
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Contact the CSU Child Support Unit , these are the things they can do to collect here.

If the Payee parent is receiving child support through the Support Collection Unit (“SCU”) then SCU can help collect past due support at no charge to you. They can:

  • Have the payor’s employer take money directly from his salary before paying

him (called income execution) and send it directly to SCU, who will

then forward it to you.

  • Have the government send them his state or federal income tax refund,

or a portion of his unemployment benefits.

  • Have the Department of Motor Vehicles suspend his driver’s license.

  • Take money from his bank accounts and retirement accounts.

  • Put liens on his property (like cars and home) so he can’t sell that

property without paying you child support.

  • Report his late support payments to credit agencies

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the child support he owes is now in a judgement.
how do you inforce the judgement?
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Local NY CSUs

Local Child Support Offices

Hours of operation are Monday–Friday unless noted. To receive a response to email, be sure to include your name, address, telephone number, and account number.

The Child Support Helpline (CSH) is available Monday–Friday, 8:00 AM–7:00 PM.

CSH: 1-***-***-****
TTY: 1-***-***-****
VRS: (

Use the interactive map or the drop-down menu to select a link to local district contact information.

They have some useful tools they will take his license until he pays, they nuke his credit, they can keep his tax refunds and forward to you.This is a real good one you may catch this every year.

This is the best you can do unless they find out he is working then they can garnish his pay checks and bank accounts.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

CSU can work with the judgment here to force him to pay , suspend license, involve credit bureau, etc.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Best you can do here, there is real minimal fee to sign up with them.By federal law they have to take you here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok just feels like im getting the run around
the judge already said he owes the money back from 2007 and its very difficult to get a clear answer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Here you are talking about deadbeat dads, they generally hide their money, don't have a regular job or work under the table, don't have a mansion in their name, the best you can do here is make their life uncomfortable--you cut off their license, that gets them tickets and inconveniences them.Credit bureau reporting dings their credit makes it hard for them to rent apartment or buy a car, etc.They can get their tax refunds which you cannot do without CSU. Your taxes pay for CSU why not use them..They also have skip tracing to locate them when you cannot by yourself.

You hope they can locate a bank account to garnish through credit bureau.They have tools here to locate deadbeat dads and they are pretty successful at it.

Sing up and give them a bit to get you some money even if it is a tax return.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Those tax refunds are really sweet if he has new significant other and they catch a joint refund.It happens a lot. I used to work child support, they will get you some money here maybe not all at once.

Thanks again I appreciate the chance to help here.I wish you the best I know you need the money for the kids.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I had deadbeat dad that hadn't paid in years, he wrote a $20 check for high school graduation and we levied on his account an took it all.You have to be patient here and persistent , they will get you some money here , it may be in bits and pieces.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.Have a great evening.