How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118085
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a job doing apartment maintenance for 13.5 yrs. the

Customer Question

I had a job doing apartment maintenance for 13.5 yrs. the owner sold the company I started working for new co. after 2 wks I was fired, I was told by the new manager that between what I was being paid and what they were paying for extra help and contractors that it was too much and I was not in their budget, My question is there anything that can be done?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: how do I pay the $5.00
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Okay
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MI
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only to the Unemployment office
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, absent a written employment agreement for a specific term to the contrary, your employment is deemed at will under MI law. An at will employee may be terminated for no reason at all or for any reason not based only on the employee's age/race/sex/disability/national origin and the employee's only recourse is filing for unemployment benefits.
As you were fired without good cause, you should be entitled to unemployment benefits, but I am afraid that is your only legal entitlement as an at will employee.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.