Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

A roofing company installed the wrong roof on my house. They

Customer Question

a roofing company installed the wrong roof on my house. They have offered to tear it off and put the correct one on. I can't imagine going through the ordeal again. I hate the color. What should I do?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I talked to the shingle company and they said it is 1000 percent their fault. They have offered to pay my 1000 deductible. I'm still in shock.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they suggested tearing the entire roof off again and replacing it with the correct roof. It was such a destructive mess. do not want to relive it.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Legally, what you're entitled to when a contractor makes a mistake is that they're required to fix the problem, or the difference in value between what you paid for and what you got (for example, if they used cheaper materials). If you get the work redone, they can also be required to pay any expenses such as the cost of staying in hotel until it's finished, if you had to leave while the work was being done, and things like that. You could also talk to some contractors and see if it's possible to simply get the roof painted or stained, and then ask the contractors to pay that expense instead. It depends on many factors, including what the roof is made of, so I'm not sure if that's remotely possible.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of having the roof replaced again, which is understandable, then your damages are more limited. If the house is worth less because of the new roof color, they could be required to pay you the difference between the value of the house with the old or new colors. You would have trouble getting a judgment in your favor if the old and new roofs are worth approximately the same amount, because it's hard for a judge to put a price on aesthetics. In that scenario, you could consider whether you're willing to settle for the $1,000 they're offering, and if not, what amount would be fair.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.