How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has polar issues and I need legal help to get her

Customer Question

my wife has bi polar issues and I need legal help to get her medicated.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing as I am under a lot of stress , her bipolar is not getting better she refuses to take medication
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 8 months ago.

If a person suffering from a psychiatric disorder is refusing to take their medication you move for an involuntary commitment if she is a danger to herself or others.

Are you looking for information on how this process works?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 8 months ago.

I understand the stress. I have handled commitments for the State and this is one of the most stressful and difficult areas of law. Which county are you located in? Are you with me? Are you going to respond to my question?

Do you still need assistance or do you want a refund?

Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 8 months ago.

New Expert here.

Have you spoken with her psychiatrist? I know from personal experience that it can take years to find a medication or combination of medications that will alleviate the mood swings. Filing for a conservatorship is pretty much guaranteed to anger her. A competent adult has the right to refuse medical treatment, and just the diagnosis of bipolar disorder does not necessarily mean she is incompetent.

Has she told you why she will not take her current medications? Do you know which one(s) she is supposed to be taking?