Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Short term marriage: Jan 2014 to Oct 2016. Lived in

Customer Question

Short term marriage: Jan 2014 to Oct 2016. Lived in serperate residences up untill March 2015. No combined incomes. No combined debt. No shared real properties. She bought a second car for her son and had a car and house on her income plus credit card debt.
We did buy a used truck and a used travel trailer last year of which I paid cash on my 2/3 rds of the truck and half of the trailer. She paid 1/3 of the cost fo the truck and financed her half of the travel trailer.She sold her house and car in 2015 and paid down her debt load. No contributions to the daily costs for my residence: utilities, water..etc. What she did pay on was $80 every two weeks for food and her 21 yr olds sons health insurance costs, which is covered by my work health insurace. She did pay for the travel trailer insurance and 1/2 of the truck insurance.Question: what is she entitled to given her limited contribution to daily living and no combined income and she has a full time job that she was able to afford home, cars and credit card debt. Given her very limited contribution, length of marraige and her ample imcome, she feels she has entitlement to more that she contributed to.
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

If you cannot resolve this then you may stake your chances with the judge dividing property.If that is the case both parties have to disclose joint marital income during the 10 months of marriage, this is considered marital income regardless of who kept what.I don't see that you owe her any more property wise than what you offered here, just know that the income during this time is marital and subject to division as is any debt acquired during the 10 months by either party.

You may decide to offer some small amount of money to try and avoid court and more time and expense but not sure that she is due any more.

But based on what you present if she wants says thousands here you may say no and take chances with the judge.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best here with divorce and resolution.Let me know if you have more here.