Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Party enters a corporate safe deposite box after owner dies

Customer Question
and when does one inherit...
party enters a corporate safe deposite box after owner dies and when does one inherit assets from death..is it the date of death or later
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/2/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a iicensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

A person inherits property when the estatet goes through some form of probate, a representative is appointed and they convey the property from the estate to the heir, beneficiary or legatee.

With a safe deposit box, a bank would not let a stranger access it unless the paperwork provided for a right of survivorship. In the case of survivorship the asset title transfers automatically at the time of death.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney