Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I HAVE BEEN SCAMED BY A APP DEVELOPMENT COMPANY TO THE TUNE

Customer Question
OF $10000. AND I HAVE...
I HAVE BEEN SCAMED BY A APP DEVELOPMENT COMPANY TO THE TUNE OF $10000. AND I HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT AND THEY DO NOT RESPOND
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: THEY HAVE OFFICES IN GEORGIA AND FLORIDA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/2/2016
Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer

Good afternoon. What state are you located?

Did you sign a contract?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mass. I have to look about contract
If you have a contract you need to check the contract for an arbitration clause.In Massachusetts you can file a small claim court action for up to $7,0000.00. But sometimes it is better to consider negotiation and mediation as alternatives.Remember, litigation – even in small claims court, where procedures are relatively easy – is time-consuming and stressful.If you can negotiate a deal with the App Developer without proceeding to court, you will both likely be better off.If you tried to negotiate already and it wasn't effective, try writing a demand letter.A formal demand letter tends to be taken more gravely than oral complaint, or emails, especially if you note that you are “reserving all legal rights should a resolution not be worked out.” Letters can later be used as evidence that you did your best to avoid going to court, and gave them a reasonable chance to comply with the contract rather than burden the court system. (This will carry weight in court -- judges don't favor people who rush to litigation.)Finally, consider mediation. Massachusetts has long been a court based mediation system after you file in SCC. Afterfiling your lawsuit, the court will encourage you to use no-cost mediators. These are trained individuals, typically attorneys, who will sit down with you and your contractor to attempt to work out a settlement. These settlements can be more creative than the result from a trial, where the judge will generally only award (or not award) money to the plaintiff. Mediators are neutrals, meaning they have no authority over the outcome; they can instead facilitate the conversation and jump-start a stalled negotiation.I hope this helps. Please rate the question for credit so that I will be compensated for assisting you. You can ask followup questions after for no additional fee.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

if you have any follow up questions, please just ask.

KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer