Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am wondering about eviction laws in Illinois. No, I am the

Customer Question
I am wondering about eviction...
I am wondering about eviction laws in Illinois.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am the home owner, my brother and his friend have been staying there without a lease while I have worked out of state, and now they refuse to leave.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pearl Wilson, lawyer's Assistant
Welcome! How can I help with your legal question?
You
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/2/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to give them a 5 day notice in writing to leave the premises for non-payment of rent, if they had a rent agreement. If they had no agreement with you to pay rent, then you need to give them a letter giving them 30 days to leave telling them you are terminating their month to month tenancy. Tell them if they refuse to leave, you will be forced to file a suit for eviction.
If they do not leave, then you need to go to the local court and file a suit for eviction and have them both served with the suit for eviction. The court would then order them to leave or send the sheriff to forcibly evict them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney