Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I lost my job about four years ago and had to take

Customer Question
bankruptcy about two years ago...
I lost my job about four years ago and had to take bankruptcy about two years ago. Everything was listed on bankruptcy except our home. We had a first and second note with the same loan company. They gave us a modified loan on the first note and we have stayed current with payments. We received a release that we could sell the home and have not made any payments after bankruptcy. We're thinking to sell the home but need to know what payoff would be on the first and second note in order to make a decision if we should sell the home. The loan company gave us a payoff on the first note but said they could not give us one on the second note because it was released. Am I responsible for the second note and if so is there a way to find out what the payoff would be in order to make the decision to sell or not sell.
We had lot in Clay County NC that was in the bankruptcy and received a letter from an attorney saying we are responsible to pay back taxes on the lot. Are we responsible to pay taxes on a lot the bank took back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You would want to check the county deed records to verify the second was released--it would be on file under your property description.If that is true then nothing due on the second.It might be that they combined them at the time and release the second.Verify this by the county deed records a it would be on file, get a copy while you are there of the release.

I would not worry about the taxes here, if the lost went back then the taxes go with title whoever bought it or took it back is liable and the taxes go with the property here.The lawyer is just trying to convince you to pay, I don't see that you owe them if it was foreclosed.The tax assessor can foreclose on the current owner to get paid not you.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer