How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19131
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband just told me last night that we need to talk

Customer Question

my ex husband just told me last night that we need to talk about getting my 2-year-old a passport. He said he's taken him out of the country numerous times, without my knowledge
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: just divorce papers, that's why I was researching lawyers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was forced into accepting the terms his lawyer wrote up, which states we were going to get him a passport on November 1. It was something I tried like hell to fight, but I had a shit lwyer at the time.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What can I do to keep him from taking my son out of the country without my permission and knowledge?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You need to file Motion with the Court for an Order for your ex to get your prior consent before taking the child out of the country. Then if he violates the Court Order, you can seek contempt action against him and one of the penalties would be to take away the child's passport from him.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That condition is already specifically in the divorce papers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since I put it in writing that he has been violating that section already, are there any actions I can take to enforce what consequences?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You can file complaint for Contempt and ask the Court to give you custody of the passport if or when the passport is issued.

You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.