Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex husband just told me last night that we need to talk

Customer Question
about getting my 2-year-old a...
my ex husband just told me last night that we need to talk about getting my 2-year-old a passport. He said he's taken him out of the country numerous times, without my knowledge
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: just divorce papers, that's why I was researching lawyers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was forced into accepting the terms his lawyer wrote up, which states we were going to get him a passport on November 1. It was something I tried like hell to fight, but I had a shit lwyer at the time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What can I do to keep him from taking my son out of the country without my permission and knowledge?

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to file Motion with the Court for an Order for your ex to get your prior consent before taking the child out of the country. Then if he violates the Court Order, you can seek contempt action against him and one of the penalties would be to take away the child's passport from him.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That condition is already specifically in the divorce papers.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since I put it in writing that he has been violating that section already, are there any actions I can take to enforce what consequences?

You can file complaint for Contempt and ask the Court to give you custody of the passport if or when the passport is issued.

You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law