How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has moved out and has a new address but still comes

Customer Question

my wife has moved out and has a new address but still comes and goes into our our house. Can I legally change the locks?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that im aware of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: before we were married i sold my house we put into our saving account, she has taken 50% just before she left. if we do get a divorce wouldnt that be already spitting assets?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Are you separated? Just to be clear, she has vacated the home and taken her possessions and now leaves else where?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no she moved out last week but left a bunch of her stuff do not know when she will pick it up. the issue is she comes to the house when Im not there.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Thank you and I do understand. If she has moved out and has not stayed there, there is a presumption she vacated and has no intent to return at this time. As such, you can start by sending her written notice, asking to come retrieve the remaining items. You can share with her that she needs to take there or else you will store them for her and she can retrieve these, when she desires. You can also advise that for safety and security, that you will be changing the locks. If she no longer lives there, there is no reason she have open access and if she needs to enter, to contact you and you will allow her to retrieve what she needs. While the home is a martial asset and she has a right to it, if you separated and she moved out and lives elsewhere, it does not mean she can really just enter at this time, as you do have a right to privacy. As long as you grant her access when she needs it and/or allow her to move back in if she wants, changing the locks is not really an issue, for safety

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!