Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Does the buyer of a vehicle have legal right to take

Customer Question

Does the buyer of a vehicle have legal right to take possession from the co-buyer?
JA: How old is the vehicle? When was it purchased?
Customer: It was purchased 10/12/16 the car is a 2013
JA: Because laws vary based on location, what state are you in?
Customer: California
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, on the dmv application for replacement plates it has the buyer's address can that be changed to the co-buyer because the co-buyer has possession of the car
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the names of both the buyer and co-buyer appear on the title, each has an equal right to the car.....and either buyer/owner can take the vehicle without the permission or consent of the other (if equal owners). Tis can create some issues if the buyers are not cooperative with one another.

If the buyers cannot agree on how to share the vehicle, it could be necessary to force the sale of the vehicle. If either person wants it, that person could buy it at the sale as long as the sales price is agreeable. If an agreement cannot be reached, it is possible to force the sale of the car, retire the debt and then split the remaining proceeds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the dmv application for replacement plates it has the buyer's address can that be changed to the co-buyer address because the co-buyer has possession of the car