LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Can I sue my husband's mistress for receiving a large sum of

Customer Question

Can I sue my husband's mistress for receiving a large sum of money that was taken out of joint account ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet, but I have just found out. The money has been taken out for 8 years from out account
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Are you going to be divorcing him?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Right now I'm not sure , perhaps in the future
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what are my legal rights in this case?

In a situation like this, the ability to recover the money which he gave her, would be during the divorce proceedings. If you were file for divorce now that you are aware of the mistress, you could ask the Judge to order that the martial assets which he used and gave to this other women, be deducted and taken from his share and awarded to you, since they were wasted. A Judge can order that the total amount he has given her over this time, be awarded to you, in addition to what you would receive. As far as suing the mistress, you would not have a cause of action, since he gave the money to her, voluntarily. The fact that he was married and she took the money, is not illegal or something she would be liable for.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for your expertise

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.