Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband purchased a vehicle in Minnesota that had engine

Customer Question
Hello, My husband purchased a vehicle...
My husband purchased a vehicle in Minnesota that had engine problems. He thought it would be an easy fix. It turned out it was not an easy fix so before he even transferred the title in his name he sold it. He has since lost all the information in regards ***** ***** he sold it to. Now all of a sudden we are getting parking tickets and expired tab tickets in the mail. Apparently the person he bought the car from reported the sale and entered his information on it. He never received a title because he never transferred it so we dont have any title information. By looking up the license plate number that is on the tickets we have been able to get the VIN # and according to that the title has not been transferred since back in March of 2015. He purchased and sold this vehicle in January of 2016. What can we do about this. He paid the first parking ticket because it was only $35.00 but the latest one is well over $100.00 and we do not have the money for this. The are threatening arrest warrants and taking away his drivers license on this latest one.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/2/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When he sells a vehicle it is his responsibility to have properly transferred the title. At this point he is going to need to present proof to the DMV he sold the vehicle. So he is going to now have to do some leg work starting with going to DMV and getting a duplicate title on the vehicle in his name. Then he is going to have to try to track the person who bought from him and if he cannot do so he will need to submit an affidavit to DMV that the vehicle is sold and no longer in his possession and ask the registration and plates to be cancelled.
He is going to have to go through DMV and do this and request the cancellation of the registration. You will also have to likely pay the latest fine until you get this matter resolved with DMV.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney