Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm having problems with my mortgage co. A while back I got

Customer Question
Hi ! I'm having...
Hi ! I'm having problems with my mortgage co. A while back I got behind on my payments an my property taxes. Since then there making me pay the $880.39 a month for my payment which was ok, but for months now there asking me to pay $1439.61. The reason why it's this way there making monthly payments to my town hall for taxes I'm behind on. Now I'm on ssi and my wife is also and I can't afford this. I take home $1,400.00 a month from ssi and there goes my whole pay check I have nothing to live on. The mortgage co are making tax payments for me, but $400.00 or so a month is to much. My question to you, is this legal. Could you please help me. The reason for us getting behind like this is because I had 3 major back surjuries, and now I'm 100% disabled. My question to you is, Is this legal, and or is there any help I can get, like from the Government. Why can't I pay for my on property taxes. I'l go to the town tomorrow and see if I can't work things out. I Thank You In Advance. Please Help! PLEASE
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NH
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: like what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/1/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, yes it is legal because the mortgage company does not want to lose their security interest in the house to a tax auction. So if the homeowner does not pay their taxes on the property, the mortgage company may do so and will charge the money to the homeowner if there is not enough in escrow to cover it. Once taxes become delinquent, the mortgage company has a right to take them over from that point forward and if you read your mortgage contract it has a clause in there stating that they will have the right to do so.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney