How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27450
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Case, People vs Holmes case number 05-cr-12308-01 year

Customer Question

My Case, People vs Holmes case number ***** year 2005 was overturned in 2011 by the supreme Court. I was then sent Paperwork for Expungement. I'm in Chicago this week trying to obtain a attorney to help me with this process
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My attorney @that time was Gary Sternburg. I think he has passed though
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Experts here cannot actually represent customers, since that's in violation of the site's terms of service and the rules of our bar associations.

Are you just asking where you can find a Chicago attorney?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am seeking a attorney that can help me with the Civil suite
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

We are not able to make direct referrals to lawyers or law firms. It's against the site's term of service. What we can do, however, is to direct you to the same referral services that lawyers themselves use when they need to consult with someone from a different state or area of specialization and don't know of anybody. Is that the sort of help you need?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

To find a civil lawyer, the best place to start would be with the Illinois Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. Because it is the state bar association, you know that the lawyer you get will be in good professional standing with his licensing authority. They charge a low fee for the referral, but it includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney. I have linked you to their contact information.

There are also commercial legal referral service. One that has been around for a long time and is highly reputable is You can search the site by type of lawyer and location. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which some customers find helpful to narrow down the field.

You initially said that you were looking for help with an expungement. That would be a criminal and not a civil lawyer, but both sites above would still be able to find you an attorney who could do the job.

If you need further information about what sort of lawyer you would need to retain, please give me some general background about your legal matter and I can assist with that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
People vs. Holmes
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

I probably was unclear.

I understand that this was your case and it was overturned, but what I don't know is what you are needing a lawyer for. If it is an expungement, you could do that yourself without a lawyer but any experienced criminal lawyer should be able to assist you with that.

If it is a civil matter and you're not sure what sort of a lawyer you need to retain, you have to tell me what you hope to accomplish by taking legal action, so that I know how best to try to assist you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you still need help. If so, please reply here on this question thread.