How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in FL and my car was repossessed tonight, while I was

Customer Question

I live in FL and my car was repossessed tonight, while I was objecting to it and in front of my young daughter. I am two months behind in car payments due to recent financial hardship and cannot afford to pay the loan in full. Do the laws in FL protect the consumer and allow him or her to pay back the past due balance in order to retrieve the car? The loan is financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Please allow me a moment.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. In a situation like this, the lender/finance company likely does have a clause and is allowed to accelerate the loan and demand payment in full, if the loan goes into default. If they are exercising that right, it would have to be paid in full or else they can sell it at auction. However, you can propose to them that you will bring the account current and pay all fees related to this. For example, late fees, interest, repossession fees which were charged. It is at their discretion but the contract which you signed will control and if it is reviewed, will state what option you have. There is nothing that obligated them to simply allow you to pay the past due amount and take the car back, so it does have to be negotiated with them.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!