How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102141
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex girlfriend says she is pregnant (I am 99% sure this

Customer Question

my ex girlfriend says she is pregnant (I am 99% sure this isn't true or my child; but if it is, i want a healthy baby and will even sue for custody. However, she is a drinker and told me she takes pills, one reason why we broke up. Am I able to get some kind of injunction against her and her behaivors as I am totally against abortions (I know I have no legal footing here) and do not want this baby harmed.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania..we both are college students
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed a harassment charge against her. I broke up with her Saturday because of this heavy drinking, and other things...I was told she was seeing her old boyfriend. I am a premed student and have a lot on my plate. The next morning, she called and I told her that i needed space. She then told me she was pregnant and getting another abortion...Ok, never knew she had one before I met her. Since that morning she and her mother continued texting my mom (who lives in NV) and me until the evening. My parents told me to report this to the campus police which I did. Even though, she got the warning from them last night, she text me again today to say she is keeping this baby. Of course I didn't respond, but am worried over this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, but there is no legal mechanism to allow a would-be father to force the mother to behave (or not to behave) in a certain way. So this is not an option. HOWEVER, someone in your situation can sue for custody as soon as the child is born.

AND/OR someone in your situation can file a complaint with DHS. See HERE. DHS also does not have the ability to force her to do anything, but they can and may take the child away once it is born unless she agrees to regular check ups and to stop risking the child's health by acting irresponsibly (if so, they will normally try to place the child with a relative if possible so you'd be on the short list by presumption).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!