How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118798
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am receiving tax bills from thebcity of waterbury ct. They

Customer Question

I am receiving tax bills from thebcity of waterbury ct. They are for the yre 2001 2002 2003. I do not have any info dating back that far. However, I do know that in Ct you cannot,register a car without providing paid tax bills. Now theyywant 3,898.00.,I am,retired senior. What can I do. I cannot,even remember what bank I uses 15 yrs.,ago
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just rcved a long letter from them. Nothing else I am aware of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I paid the tax, bur can only hope i can get to the bank for cancwlled. Ks.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CT law, the statute of limitations on these tax bills is 15 years from date tax was due, so that is why they are trying to collect. Unfortunately, you are going to have to now write an appeal stating that you did pay the tax and that because they never notified you that you did not receive it and it has been so long ago you are at a disadvantage in not having 15 year old bank records and even banks do not keep the records that long. However, if they refuse to at least negotiate, you will need to go to the local senior citizen center or legal aid and ask for legal assistance to file an appeal and also seek to potentially take this to court and ask the court to vacate the bills based on the amount of time since they were due and you are prejudiced because you cannot access proof of payment.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.