How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42307
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my sister's POA. she died last week and I cannot find

Customer Question

I have my sister's POA. she died last week and I cannot find a copy of a will. The bank froze her account. what do I do
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Social Security and her pension providers. The bank evidently was informed by Social Security
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You would need local probate lawyer to make application for court supervised probate.Since there is no will the laws of intestacy( no will) would be applied by the probate court.The only difference is that the court supervises and you need hearing/order for any sale of real estate, etc since it is overseen here.

Once you are given letters of administration you can access the accounts and transfer them to estate of ..You will also need an EIN number and this takes the place of her social for returns, or sales of real estate, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Probate lawyer here

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map


Hennepin County Bar Association LRIS
Minneapolis, MN

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Hennepin, Ramsey, Twin Cities Metro Area

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Ramsey County Bar Association
St Paul, MN

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Ramsey, East Metro

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Reference to intestate process here in Minnesota.