How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2002 my dad died who was 62, my mother was 63 he had a

Customer Question

In 2002 my dad died who was 62, my mother was 63 he had a subdivision only with lots in the city of Decatur Alabama I told mother who is retired that she should not be having to pay city property taxes when she is disabled, and the property does not make any money or in use until lots sell. but ***** ***** the Revenue in Decatur has charged her nearly 10,000 a year for over 14 years. She turned 65 2005 0r 2006
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I tried getting her to talk to anattorney but she has refused now she is 77 years old and still these lots have not sold and she is still having to pay huge amounts when this property has done nothing butsit there and cost us money. I have been to law school but I have not got passed this state bar yet. but I found a case that said when you have a disability and the land is just sitting there that taxes does not apply but I need someones help who knows how city property taxes work
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: she is to pay again this year nearly 8000.00 dollars on these lots in our subdivision that no dwellings are on and are not in use unless one day we sell some more lots. If I could find an attorney that knows disability law and city property taxes I think she would be willing to talk to them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I am her concerned daughter that found a supreme court case but I misplaced it and these questions are intertwining
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Is the land part of her homestead property which by AL law allows for an exemption for disabled persons for the homestead and up to 160 acres attached to the property? If not you need to better explain, because even though the land just sits there it is subject to property tax under state law.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.