How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Kansas City, MO. My boyfriend was arrested while

Customer Question

I live in Kansas City, MO. My boyfriend was arrested while driving my car. They found drugs in his possession. My car was towed to Police Impound and has been placed under investigative hold. I spoke with a detective who had asked me if I would sign a consent-to-search the vehicle because they had left an item in the vehicle they wish to obtain. He did not tell me what this item is or why. He told me that my car would be held under investigation until they received a warrant unless I agreed to sign the search consent. I told him no, I did not consent. My boyfriend has been released on bond. My car is still in impound under investigative hold. The arrest happened on the afternoon of October 18th. It is now October 31st and my car is still under investigative hold. The keys to my car are in it. That includes the keys to my front doors of my apartment and my mailbox. I haven't even been able to check the mail since this happened. What can I do? What are my rights? How do I get my vehicle back? Please help. Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

If the police have an investigative hold on the car because they believe your boyfriend used it as the means to commit a crime, then you'd have to go to the police and/or to the prosecutor who is handling the case against your boyfriend and try to get them to release the car to you as the innocent owner of the vehicle.

If it's being held for evidence, you would have to wait until your boyfriend's case is over to get it, but you should be allowed to get your property if it is not being held as evidence of the crime as well.

Sometimes, even if it's not evidence and even with a prosecutor's release, the police will not give up the car without a court order. That means it may ultimately take a lawyer to bring an action forcing them to give you back the car.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.