How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12362
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Batimore county Circuit court I need to know specifically

Customer Question

In Batimore county Circuit court I need to know specifically what to put on page 1 of a pleading to properly confer jurisdiction. I am pro se and suing for several causes of action in excess of the district court maximum. Breach of contract et al. I could bring it in the lower court. Please tell em how to or possibly where to see a sample lawsuit.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What is the reason for suing in Baltimore County?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is involved. I really just need to find out how to actually initiate the suit. I am quite familiar with the legal process in another state. Not an att'y. I do not want District or small claims. I have the causes of action and general allegations etc. It involves breach of contract, abuse of process, ADA violations and discriminatory practices in housing. I am suing for a jury trail in excess of the max in district court. If you would be amenable I could email the pleading. but I don't know how much you would want to "clean it up" I am n ot looking for representation, unless on a contingenvcy basis
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have spoken to other attorneys, and quite honestly they are trolling for clients. They all advise to not sue and they all advise to retain counsel. Either I have a case or I don't. I believe I do and I will be suing. I have been wronged and it is just that simple. I find lawyers are constantly looking for a "slam dunK' with a big payoff. If a call be warranted it must wait until tomorrow.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It just dawned on me, I am told don't tilt at windmills, pay me and I'll tilt at them. If enough people sued city hall they would have to change that slogan..
Again, if talking be the answer fine, but I am determined to sue, and need some guidance. I do not need a Daddy to tell me not to. I am getting into the ring and need a corner man, not some one blocking me from fighting.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again.

I'm just trying to answer your basic question about the jurisdiction statement to include in the Complaint. I need to know why you are suing in Baltimore County. Why not Frederick County? Why not Calvert County?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have filed and answered lawsuits and won most. Furthermore I have been sued in Baltimore and won dismissal 3 times. Now I wish to pursue malicious prosecution and abuse of process, not to mention put an end to the abuses. It is a shame that your profession demands money up front like entering a movie theatre or pardon the expression, whorehouse. The system is clearly tilted in favor of $$$. However I have them on the facts and the law. Some lawyers think all they need do is go into court like William shatner on boston legal and yell Denny Crain and they'll win. Not so I am pro se not an amateur. The reason Balmore is that si where we live that is where the breach and harassment occurred.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again.

The Maryland Code states as follows:


(a) Subject to the provisions of §§ 6–202 and 6–203 of this subtitle and unless otherwise provided by law, a civil action shall be brought in a county where the defendant resides, carries on a regular business, is employed, or habitually engages in a vocation. In addition,a corporation also may be sued where it maintains its principal offices in the State.

(b) If there is more than one defendant, and there is no single venue applicable to all defendants, under subsection (a) of this section, all may be sued in a county in which any one of them could be sued, or in the county where the cause of action arose.

As you can see, you need to sue in the county where the defendant lives or is employed, etc. You cannot sue in Baltimore County if the defendant has no connection to Baltimore County. The fact that the breach and harassment occurred there would only be relevant if there is more than one defendant, and they do not all live or work in the same county. And the fact that you reside in Baltimore County is not a factor in determining venue.

In any event, once you determine the correct county, your Complaint would have a statement like this:

"This Court has jurisdiction over this matter pursuant to MD Code, Courts and Judicial Proceedings, § 6-201."

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I finally got the answer. These wbsites are impossible sometimes. What part are of the state are you in? are you interested in other work. I ahve been told that I am litigious; maybe so, but I do not go looking. Also, forgive the typos, too busy to correct them. Also are you a Litigator? Civil? I appreciate that you did not take offense to my New York sarcastic and impatient attitude. There was a New Yorker cartoon, yrs ago, Older lawyer sitting at big desk asking his client, " so young man, just how much justice can you afford?" That is reallly the situation. So I ahve to do my own work, and have learned a bit along the way. If you still want to talk on phone let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I still cannot talk on phone now, also how long is the call for. I have had experience with Avvo, and every lawyer says the same thing retain counsel. As I stated if the law and facts are on my side I dont care if the ghost of Johnny cochran is counsel for the other side, it is still a lawyer, not a magician. Again, in Florida you would write on pg 1, this is an action for ..., the defendants is sui juris, resides, etc. jurisdiction is laid in circuit court etc. At all times the defendant had offices etc. It seems that that is not the case in District court, not just small claims. So if you can email a sample, I would be greatful. Furthermore, this has grown out of excess and abuses in a rental property. Why can't I counter claim in rent court? Once a case is filed, should a defendant not be allowed to counter sue and move to transfer the case. The Judge in district court claims no. I have yet to see chapter and verse as to prohibition of counter suits in rent court. The rarity and unusual nature is due to the non lawyer agent represenatation and tenants answering the case. The absence of pro attorneys may be why the practice of counter suing is not done. It does not meant, to me that there a exists any law, ruling or court order prohibiting such filing.