Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in the state of Wisconsin and then 12 days behind on

Customer Question
my title loan. I looked...
I live in the state of Wisconsin and then 12 days behind on my title loan. I looked up the laws on repossession in the state of Wisconsin and it looks like they have to give me 20 days notice before repossession. Is that correct because I'm getting really scared and I can't pay them to long to be 14 days past
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/29/2016
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

In Wisconsin, a creditor can repossess a motor vehicle if it mails a notice to the customer with the following information:

1) The name, address, and telephone number of the creditor, a brief identification of the credit transaction, and a brief description of the motor vehicle.

2) A statement that, as a result of the customer’s default on the loan, the creditor has the right to take possession of the motor vehicle without further notice or court proceeding.

3) A statement that if the customer is not in default or objects to the creditor’s right to take the motor vehicle, the customer may, no later than 15 days after the creditor has given the notice, demand that the creditor proceed in court by notifying the creditor in writing.

4) A statement that if the creditor proceeds in court, the customer may be required to pay court costs (i.e. filing fee and mailing cost) and attorney fees (usually $100-$500).

In other words, once they notify you by mail, you then have 15 days to notify them in writing that you object to the creditor's claims or right to take the vehicle. So if you haven't even been notified, you still have time.

.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney