Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Do I have a right to know about the disposition of my

Customer Question

Do I have a right to know about the disposition of my recently deceased sisters' estate, will, prenuptial agreement??
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Prescott Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Her husband of 5 years is not giving any information. When I asked him about her will and the prenup, he said he couldn't find either one. She was 85 years old. She died May 13 of this year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Her husband had his son take over power of attorney for her when she was in a rehab facility, unable to walk or speak more than a couple of words.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Do you know who your sister used for her attorney?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I do not.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, where a will can not be found, there is a legal presumption that the decedent died intestate. If you believe there is a will being illegally hidden form you you can file a petition to open an estate in probate court and use the subpoena power of the court to force a will to be presented under threat of being held in contempt.

You can also start digging around to try to find out who she used as her attorney by checking around with other professionals she may have used, such as a tax preparer.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent my phone number and you haven't called yet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am still online and also sent my phone number. This site is difficult. I have updated my credit card info twice!!!
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

There was a payment failure on the phone call. If you wish to speak by phone I will make a premium service offer. You will need to accept it and provide a phone number. It will not show me the phone number until the offer is requested and the payment is confirmed. Otherwise, I am happy to continue online.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK I give up. Please do not charge my credit card, this has not worked. Maybe another day.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

You have not been charged. I am happy to continue online since we do not appear to have any problems in that respect. Did you see my answer?