Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have 40+ acres in Michigan I use for hunting. Someone

Customer Question
posted the middle of it...
I have 40+ acres in Michigan I use for hunting. Someone posted the middle of it where they put up a tree stand. I reported it to the DNR, they took pictures and said don't take down the stand. What are may rights as a land owner? DNR seems to be dragging their feet.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They also posted signs saying its their property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/28/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you own the land, whoever posted on it is trespassing. You need to find out who they are and have them removed from the land. If they claim they own the land they will have to provide proof of a deed. You need to contact the sheriff or local law enforcement when the person is on your land to remove them and have them arrested for trespassing and you need to have a copy of your deed to prove you own the land. Furthermore, you can sue the person for any damages they did to your land in erecting their stand and signs if they did damages.

IF they claim they own the land, they are going to need to prove that ownership and DNR is correct in not disturbing anything until your proof of ownership of that land is established by the court or law enforcement and then you can remove the property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney